Understanding output from "nft list"

Is there a document that is good for understanding the output of "nft list"? (more specifically the kind of output that comes from "nfs list ruleset")  In particular I'm looking for a description of the syntax.

I've been browsing around https://www.netfilter.org/ and I've been having trouble finding the kind of information that I'm looking for.

The first questions I have:
Can/should I assume that each line in the output of "nft list" is a separate, uh... "thing"[1] that can be (human-)parsed independently from every other line?  Is there something that signifies "this line should be considered as part of the same Thing as the last/next line"?

Should I be reading each line/"thing" from left to right in my attempt to parse/understand it?

This is complicated by the fact that the current firewall config is generated by a "front end" package, which I'm also trying to learn.
I wonder if the output from "nft list" represents some weird syntax generated by the front end package.  Can I assume that the output of "nft list" is _valid_ syntax?

[1] - I'm not sure if "expression", "statement", or "rule", or something else, is an appropriate word to use here.