Re: nftables rule optimization - evaluating efficiency

On Wed, 10 Jul 2024, at 7:34 PM, William N. wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2024 19:03:18 -0000 William N. wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Also, it is not clear what is the actual "load" of different
>> instructions in terms of CPU cycles and memory, i.e. one instruction
>> may look as "one" but may actually cost more than another 2, right?

Indeed. It cannot be presumed that all instructions are equal in expense.

>> What is the proper way to evaluate and optimize rule efficiency?
>
> Are those difficult or somehow inappropriate questions?
> Or is there a better place to ask?

You are enquiring as to how to assess the relative efficiency of the bytecode instructions through the direct understanding of how they are processed by the nftables VM. Said VM is unique and - as far as I know - wholly undocumented. As regards difficulty, the intersection of people who follow the list and possess the necessary expertise can probably be conveyed quite comfortably by a single digit. It is a pity; I would also have been interested to see an informed reply but the absence of one wasn't altogether surprising to me.

--
Kerin Millar