Understanding and debugging conntrack source code

I've been trying to understand the connection tracking (conntrack)
source code (specifically nf_conntrack_proto_tcp.c and
nf_conntrack_proto_udp.c) by sending packets between virtual machines
and observing the connection states, looking to possibly find
vulnerabilities or perhaps weaknesses.

Are there additional documentation somewhere that aid with the
understanding of the conntrack source code (specifically
nf_conntrack_proto_tcp.c and nf_conntrack_proto_udp.c), since it's a
bit complex and difficult to understand?

Is there a way a debugger can be setup where when pings are sent from
one machine to another, I can see which conntrack functions are being
executed or which lines are being processed?

Regards,

Kevin