Re: DoS/DDoS protection for end nodes

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:25:51 +0000 Serg wrote:

> Your question is too broad,

Yes, because the subject itself is broad and I am trying to figure the
general idea correctly. AFAIU, it is performance.

> However, for high-performance scenarios, XDP is a better alternative
> to nftables.

After reading your reply, I did more reading. A few interesting links
(out of many which I read) from this additional research:

https://cilium.io/blog/2018/04/17/why-is-the-kernel-community-replacing-iptables/
https://github.com/mbertrone/bpf-iptables
https://www.phoronix.com/news/BPFILTER-2021

IIUC, there is this general long-term idea to move from
iptables/nftables rules to BPF (bpfilter), thus gaining performance and
there have been PoCs about that back in 2018. I could not find info
about how this has actually progressed (as it would really not be fun
to write firewall rules in C, parallel to using nftables).

What can you tell me about that?
How suitable is Cilium for SOHO needs?
Is bpfilter practical or not yet? Any documentation about it?
Am I looking at the wrong things?