Re: nft tproxy failed to redirect on one system

On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 18:16:31 +0800
Carl Lei <me@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2023 12:05:01 +0200
> Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 03:48:07PM +0800, Carl Lei wrote:
> > > Btw: sent to wrong address, re-sent to list...

> > > Looked closer at the trace, I found that on the bad system, when
> > > the packet goes back to input rules, its trace id changed; on the
> > > good system it does not change.  Perhaps this explains it, but I
> > > don't know why it was changed?
> >
> > Could you provide more detailed information on your setup? You refer
> > to a system where this works fine and another where this does not,
> > but you do not specify kernel and userspace versions?
>
> Sorry I forgot that in my first email, indeed I replied to myself
> several times and already provided versions, but I did not realize I
> sent to a wrong address.  My used versions are (copying from my
> previous mails):
>
> "they are both running Arch Linux, the good system running kernel
> 6.4.8-arch1-1, the bad system I tried both 6.4.4 and 6.4.9; nftables
> version both 1:1.0.7-2; the proxy program on 1081 is also identical,
> running identical config."
>
> > Some simple script with 'ip netns' as a reproducer might also help
> > that might help people jump in a provide feedback.
>
> I will try ASAP to make a reproducer.

Sorry for the delay, I finally figured out what is going on.

When I do `modprobe br_netfilter`, which automatically sets sysctl
net/bridge/bridge-nf-call-iptables=1, the rule breaks --- the packet
would change trace id when it comes back to INPUT chains.  After I set
that sysctl to 0, the rule works again.

And yes, the packet is coming from a container, having a veth connected
to a bridge on the host.