Re: Nftables + ALG + Linux 6.1.0-10-amd64 …?... is it a kown Problem?

toml <toml@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, dem 01.08.2023 um 22:11 +0200 schrieb Florian Westphal:
>
> > Sounds about right, helper assignment looks correct to me.
>
> Unfortunately, the example from my previous post does not work, when I tighten the filter to prevent unwanted traffic. For outgoing FTP I always get the message:
> "Could not open data connection to port nnnnn: Connection refused".

The helper is not active for that connection.

>         chain output {
>                 type filter hook output priority 0; policy accept;
>                 oifname "lo" accept
>                 ct state 0x2,0x4 accept
>                 meta pkttype { 0, 1, 2 } accept
>                 ip protocol 1 accept
>                 ct state 0x8 tcp dport 21 ct helper set "ftp-helper"

adding a 'counter' after set "ftp-helper" will show that its never set.

I suspect packets are eaten by the preceeding pkttype rule.
You can test via

nft insert rule ip filter output tcp flags syn tcp dport 21 meta nftrace set 1

then run 'nft monitor' and try to connect to a tcp server.