Re: IPv4 Evil Bit

On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 10:38:23 -0400
Paul Robert Marino <prmarino1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Answering the first question i think you may be looking for sets
> https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Sets

Thanks for the answer. Is there a possibility to combine sets (i.e. to
perform a kind of merge)?
iifname @dnet_interfaces oifname {
@client_interfaces, @dnet_interfaces } goto dnet_forward;

> As for the second one RFC3514 implementing that is a bad idea for a
> number of reasons which is why as far as I know nothing implements it,
> it's too easy for a bad actor to take advantage of. In fact it was
> actually an april fools joke RFC. There are a lot of those and some
> people confuse them as being legitimate but they are not. if you see
> an RFC with a publish date of April 1st any year don't take it
> seriously.
> AGAIN I CAN NOT STRESS THIS POINT ENOUGH THAT RFC (RFC3514 ) WAS
> WRITTEN AS AN APRIL FOOLS JOKE!!!!!.

I know this RFC is intended as an April Fool's joke. However, I would
like to see how many requests I get with the Evil Bit. And how many
requests I forward for the dn42 with the Evil Bit.

How could a malicious actor have the advantage if I log this bit? Or do
you mean that I shouldn't rely on malicious requests having that bit?

"Inspired" me to this idea was
https://blog.benjojo.co.uk/post/evil-bit-RFC3514-real-world-usage.

--
Marek Küthe