RE: nftables tutorial for dummies?

I found one of the best ways to understand what's happening is to use tracing (https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Ruleset_debug/tracing) .  You can see the traffic move through the chains and rules and get a better understanding of how your matching is or isn't working.  I often just set it on my input chain, or on another chain where I want to focus; you don't have to use a pre-routing chain unless you need to catch the traffic earlier.

-----Original Message-----
From: ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2022 1:35 PM
To: Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@xxxxxxx>; netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: nftables tutorial for dummies?

NetApp Security WARNING: This is an external email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On 12/22/22 01:13, Lars Noodén wrote:
> On 21.12.2022 1.45, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Anyone have a favorite nftables tutorial for dummies?
>>
>> I am familiar with iptables, if that helps.
>>
>> This looks a bit complicated:
>>
>> https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Main_Page
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> Did you see the "Quick reference-nftables in 10 minutes" link found
> near the bottom of the page you link to above?  It's really worth a look:
>
> https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Quick_reference-nfta
> bles_in_10_minutes

I did not see that.  Me things I will be using the heck out of it when I get the hang of it.

> NFTables is different from IPTables, but for me it is different in
> ways which make it easier to use despite having spent a longer time
> using IPTables.  YMMV.

My two big fears are:

1)  if I do not manager to download enough of the reference guides/tutorial in advance, that I will being going back and forth with a live USB researching things.

2)  It looks like I will have to learn the syntax of a new language.  (I am familiar with several of them.  Currently, I write a lot in Raku [Perl 6].)

Thank you for the help!

> /Lars
>
> PS.  Thank you in advance for not top-posting.

You are welcome!