Re: meter in 0.9.1 (nft noob question)

On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 05:00:00PM +0200, Laura Garcia wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 1:04 PM Trent W. Buck <trentbuck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to hashlimit/recent in nftables.  My old example rulesets are:
> >
> >     http://cyber.com.au/~twb/doc/iptab
> >     http://cyber.com.au/~twb/doc/iptab.ips (adds hashlimit/recent/CHAOS).
> >
> > My test nftables ruleset seems to be working:
> >
> >     http://cyber.com.au/~twb/tmp/nftables-just-ips.nft
> >
> > These things confused me:
> >
> >  * The wiki[1] says "the meter keyword is obsolete", but
> >    "man nft" (v0.9.1) and "iptables-translate" (v1.8.3) both still use it.
> >
> >    Is there a way to change a meter rule into a map rule?
> >    I can't work it out.
> >
> >    I tried variations on the examples at [1], but
> >    I got generic parse errors with nft v0.9.1 and linux 4.19 or 5.0.
> >
> >    [1] https://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Meters
> >

> Hi,
>
> I've updated the wiki page with some of your proposals and fixed some commands.
>
> As meters are an specific case of maps/sets, I guess that they'll be
> discarded some day.
>
> Cheers.
Hi,

I thought meters were unique in that the set underlying them gets added to by
incoming traffic. Can maps/sets do that?

Also can maps/sets duplicate the functionality of a meter with a counter?: if
you have one of those running for a while with no time-out then nft list shows
counts for each different IP connected to by the system (metering outbound
connections IIRC)

Cheers ... Duncan.