Re: transparent proxy question

Dk Jack <dnj0496@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time. tcpdump doesn't show a syn-ack being sent.
> Can you clarify on what you mean by 'routing info needed to reach the
> peer'? I can see the need for routing info when the packet is going
> out. However, in this case, my application is not getting the packet.

accept() does not return until after 3whs has compleed, so I am not sure
wha you mean by this.

> btw, you mentioned "No.  TPROXY does not modify packet headers."
> if that's true, then how will the ip stack deliver the packet to my
> application which is listening on port 8080?

TPROXY associates the initial packets with the listening socket,
not the IP stack.  After 3whs has completed, a socket that matches
the tuples in use will exist and ip stack can work normally.

Your itpables TRACE logs show that mangle prerouting, first rule,
is matching/accpeting the packet, so that part works.

Your TRACE log also shows that the packet has been diverted to INPUT
and makes it through filter/nat hooks.  So, AFAICS, from nefilter
pov. all appears to be ok.

> do I need to add another rule that actually does the translation?

No.

> and ip_forward is enabled. Do you have any pointers on how to go about
> debugging the issue if its getting dropped beyond net-filter? Any
> pointers is greatly appreciated.

You could check nstat, if that shows no clue you could have a look
at perf, specifically "script net_dropmonior".