Re: A delay mechanism for iptables?

On 19 Nov 2018, at 9:56, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 06:55:34PM +0100, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 07:29:56AM -0800, Paul Hoffman wrote:
Greetings. I want to use iptables packet manipulation to do something that I don't see in the man pages but would hope was there: delay the packets by a specified number of milliseconds. Is it in iptables but I am just missing it in the man pages? Or is there already an extension that I'm just not seeing
in the default build on my Linux system?

Have a look at tc/netem.

BTW, may I ask for your usecase?

I am creating a testbed for DNS resolvers to test how they pick authoritative servers based on differences in return times of messages. The basic design is:
resolver  -> router/  -> servers
under        mangler
test

The mangling I want in the router would add different amounts of delay based on the address of the target server.

Based on the earlier message, I think I can see a way forwards with iptables and tc, and possibly with just tc. I'll experiment with those and come back here if I need more. Thanks in advance!