Re: SV: "straggler" packets being logged

On Thu, 2018-10-04 at 22:21 +0000, André Paulsberg-Csibi (IBM
Consultant) wrote:
> Hi ,

Hi,

> As I cannot be sure of the reason you see this in your logs , but I
> will assume that this happened because your session was IDLE for
> longer then the TCP TIMEOUT for ESTABLISHED sessions

That's not probable.  The case I pasted below is IRC and the chance
that conntrack's TCP timeout expires without a single message passing
on an IRC link is pretty low.

Additionally, I even see this much more frequently with SSL web
traffic.  As you know web traffic is generally very short-lived TCP
connections.

# cat /proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established
7440

is much longer than typical HTTPS should be alive for.

Let me ask... Is my original theory valid?  Will conntrack throw away
the idea of an ESTABLISHED session as soon as the last FIN passes the
connection and if the host were to subsequently receive any straggling
packets (i.e. held up in a router or something), would they get logged
as I am seeing it or does conntrack suppress logging those for some
period of time after the TCP session is closed with dual FIN and/or RST
packets?

Cheers,
b.