Re: Using dynamic IP lists to block forwarding

On 09-01-2018 16:24, Dave Osbourne wrote:

> On 2018-01-09 09:58, Joerg Dorchain wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 09:28:26AM +0000, Dave Osbourne wrote:
>>> 1. The list might be incorrect and legit requests will be blocked, the
>>>     list will have to regularly derived (there might be a source who
>>> knows)
>>> 2. "bad" IPs might be on that list and allowed
>>>

>>> My response is to implement a dynamic block list (say)
>>> http://iplists.firehol.org/?ipset=blocklist_net_ua - using iptables
>>> on (say)
>>> Debian.  I've looked at an hour of probe data and it seems that that
>>> /*specific */list would have blocked 97+% of known bad probe attempts
>>> (and
>>> the list is updated regularly).
>>>
>>> I hope someone might be able to provide argument for / against... or
>>> share
>>> an alternative...
>> I have been doing this for a while, but now have found that ipset
>> fit in very well here.
>> - Adding and removing ips from a set is easier than fiddling with
>>    iptables syntax.
>> - The timeout feature comes in very handy.
>> - Basically the iptables rules can be static.
>>
>> Bye,
>>
>> Joerg
>
> Ah - I looked at that (ipset) - didn't even know it existed...!!
>
> I'm getting a lot of resistance from our outsourced IT supplier on
> this...  the excuses are variously:
>
> * block based on SRCIP being in <insert unfriendly state here> or
> * why don't you migrate to Office365 or
> * don't worry if you patch regularly and have a good passwd policy then
> just let the traffic come
>
> all completely pointless given the constrains and facts of the case.
>
> Does *anyone* have some kind of a reference or best practice for this,
> or their own motivation even?
>
> I feel the resistance I'm getting (not from the list) is through a lack
> of awareness by IT professionals...  this seems like such an obvious
> thing to do, yet 3 IT support companies I've spoken to don't seem keen....

The only experience with something simpler (trying to reduce the number
of ssh bruteforce attempts) is allowing only IPs from $MYCOUNTRY. Your
concern about the list of IPs not being correct is a valid one but I've
never had problems or complaints (machines have only a few users though)
when using the lists from here:

ftp://ftp.ripe.net/pub/stats/ripencc/

The files there are updated daily. You'll have to massage the file first
to get a range of IPs you can use.

That said your idea sounds good and if it could help catch the few
corner cases the static lists (firehol + ripe) don't catch I don't see
why not use it (maybe false positives concern?).

> Dave
>

> --

Mauro Santos