Re: Using dynamic IP lists to block forwarding

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 09:28:26AM +0000, Dave Osbourne wrote:

> 1. The list might be incorrect and legit requests will be blocked, the
>    list will have to regularly derived (there might be a source who knows)
> 2. "bad" IPs might be on that list and allowed
>

> My response is to implement a dynamic block list (say)
> http://iplists.firehol.org/?ipset=blocklist_net_ua - using iptables on (say)
> Debian.  I've looked at an hour of probe data and it seems that that
> /*specific */list would have blocked 97+% of known bad probe attempts (and
> the list is updated regularly).
>
> I hope someone might be able to provide argument for / against... or share
> an alternative...

I have been doing this for a while, but now have found that ipset
fit in very well here.
- Adding and removing ips from a set is easier than fiddling with
  iptables syntax.
- The timeout feature comes in very handy.
- Basically the iptables rules can be static.

Bye,

Joerg