Re: Create set and/or chain accessible across multiple tables

On 23 August 2017 at 20:51, Jeff Kletsky <netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, yes, a define at the top-level can be accessed throughout.
>
> I chose to select an approach to declare the set in a file that can be
> "included" within any table.

As sets are per-table, this is not possible unless you use the
variable trick I mentioned in the previous email.

> The question about atomic changes comes from my familiarity with and use of
> FreeBSD's ipfw
> and its support for atomic operations on only *parts* of a rule set, such
> as:

great, then I hope you find nftables better than ipfw regarding this :-)

> As an example of an application of this, consider that there are two
> possible packet flows that need to be "switched" between.

> To provide uninterrupted flow, the "switch" point at Y needs to be
> simultaneously changed with that at X

If I understand well and X, Y are the same box/firewall, then atomic
replacement using 'nft -f' is the way to go.

In case they are different boxes/firewalls, we have a tool in mind
(nft-sync) which is under (slow-)development to handle cases like
this.