Re: Empirically determined limits on identifier name length

On 23 August 2017 at 23:58, Jeff Kletsky <jmk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At least working with the HEAD version of nftables v0.7, current library
> versions, and kernel 4.9,
> the limits on identifier length that I have determined empirically (I have
> not examined the code):
>
> * chain, set -- 31 characters
> * table -- (not examined, but *guessing* 31 characters as well)
>
> * define -- limit in excess of 65 characters

Yes, we have limits in the name of the objects. Probably raising
limits in the future.

> The error message when the limit is exceeded for the "in-kernel" chain and
> set identifiers is similar to
>
>     nftables.conf:3:1-14: Error: Could not process rule: Numerical result
> out of range
>     flush ruleset

You complain again and again about this bug (bad error reporting) but
as Pablo told you already, this has been solved.
I know the bug is annoying, but this fixed code isn't included in v0.7.

Reference:
 http://git.netfilter.org/nftables/commit/?id=509671dfa03365bba727b8be5e522b737da93a6f