Hints needed to find causes of non-specific error messages

Having now split out all my NAT-related statements into an "ip" table and shortened all myidentifiers to 16 characters or less, I'm stuck with poorly descriptive error messages that only refer to the first line of the nft file being read.

The rule set is very skeletal, as I'm still trying to just get the chains and sets I need to exist. Most chains are empty, or consist of only a "continue" verdict. The vmap-driven dispatch (jump) statements have been commented out. "flush ruleset" is the first statement in the file read by nft. Commenting out that line just moves the pointer of the error message to the next "command" line in the file. nft is being executed with root privilege, and I get the same results with nft -c

I had previously found the "Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory" message related to identifiers that are too long.

Previous testing suggested that while set names are called out in the wiki as limited to 16 characters, chain names would not cause this kind of error at 32 characters or less. There is nothing about the identifier-length limit for tables, chains, or variables that I could find in the wiki or the current, on-line man page for nft. The nft man page describes a valid identifier matches [a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9/\_.]* and that quotes are required if it would conflict with an keyword, but nothing on length limits.

* What are the limits on identifiers for tables, chains, and variables?

* I'm now looking for suggestions as to what to look at to find the source of the following errors:

nftables.conf:3:1-14: Error: Could not process rule: Device or resource busy
flush ruleset
nftables.conf:3:1-14: Error: Could not process rule: No such file or directory
flush ruleset
nftables.conf:3:1-14: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not supported
flush ruleset

(As previously noted, "flush ruleset" moves to the next non-comment, non-empty line in the file if commented out)

Thanks!

Jeff