Re: Full NAT forward and source routing - possible without packet marking?

but it still seems to me I need to leverage the connection tracking
with packet marking to be able to ensure the reply packets that should

I'm afraid so, unless you can add a second IP address to the target device.

The target device is usually a device that I have no control over, and in many cases it can be a device that doesn't even have the capability to have multiple IP addresses on the physical interface.

So I'll have to treat it as a one-address blackbox.

Still feeling quite happy now, because quite a few lessons has been learned about the inner workings of routing (and netfilter/nftables/iptables) in Linux, so I will be better equipped to tackle future requirements for my device (and other Linux-based devices).

For others that read this later on, while there are lots of docs on nftables/netfilter, I came across this one as particularly useful:

https://pelican.craoc.fr/

I can't attest that it is correct in all aspects, but I liked the diagram he drew based on the tests he did.