Re: nf_conntrack_max

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 02:47:08PM -0400, John Ratliff wrote:
> I have been able to raise the conntrack limits and the hashsize, but I don't
> know how to get a udp timeout policy yet. I'm using Debian 8 Jessie with
> nfct 1.42.
>
> $ nfct timeout add dns-udp inet udp established 15 close 1 close_wait 1
> nfct v1.4.2: Wrong state name: `ESTABLISHED' for protocol `udp'

UDP has two states, replied and unreplied, so this is:

 # nfct add timeout dns-udp inet udp replied 15 unreplied 1

For TCP, states are:

        syn_sent
        syn_recv
        established
        fin_wait
        close_wait
        last_ack
        time_wait
        close
        syn_sent2
        retrans
        unacknowledged

When the generic tracker is in place, you use "timeout", eg.

 # nfct add timeout generic-timeout-policy inet generic timeout 15

For SCTP, states are:

        closed
        cookie_wait
        cookie_eched
        established
        shutdown_sent
        shutdown_recd
        shutdown_ack_sent

For DCCP, states are:

        request
        respond
        partopen
        open
        closereq
        closing
        timewait

For ICMP/v6, there is only one, so you use "timeout".

That's it. If anyone gets some spare cycles, I'd appreciate if you can
contribute a patch to update the manpage so this information is
available there.

You can use this to create your custom timeout policies. You can also
set global default timeouts via nfct:

 # nfct default-set timeout inet tcp established 15

instead of using sysctl, just an alternative.

Thanks!