Re: nf_conntrack_max

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 06:15:55PM -0400, John Ratliff wrote:
> What are the implications of raising
> net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_max?
>
> I have a pair of firewalls in an active/passive failover setup
> (using keepalived and conntrackd) that I want to use to NAT several
> services behind. When I added DNS yesterday, I quickly exceeded the
> default 65536 value. It never appeared to exceed 85000, so I simply
> doubled it for the time being.
>
> When I was reading about this online, there were many suggestions
> for putting DNS servers outside the firewall.

If the NAT is not a hard requirement, this is what I would do.  But
since as you say that would be a lot of trouble, yes, just raise the
net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_max.

Each entry costs a relatively small amount of RAM.  Since you are
talking about numerous high availability measures, I am sure your
organization has not skimped on the firewall machines.  Increase it,
don't worry.  Check the RAM use while it's working.  Order more RAM
if there's any doubt. :)

Perhaps you have already seen this unattributed article at the ISC
Knowledge Base:

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-01183/

> I am ambivalent about this solution. It will work, but it will
> require me to duplicate many rules from my main firewall to the
> packet filter on the individual DNS servers that I Would prefer not
> be duplicated.
>
> Would there be a serious performance penalty to simply raising the
> conntrack_max value to 256k, 512k, or 1024k? Is it best to try and
> avoid large connection tracking tables like this? I do not know
> what my average table would be, but I would expect 100k from the
> data I have so far.

AFAIK the extra memory use will be the only drawback.

One more thing I can add: I believe it is possible to set different
conntrack timeouts based on protocol/port.  I don't know exactly how
to do that, but it would make sense for udp/53 to shorten that to
something like 15 seconds; just a bit beyond the nameservers' and
resolver clients' timeout values.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/