Re: iptables TCP DDoS filtering

Thank you for your response. However, I can't make too much sense of it.

> some of the rules in javapipe.com seems way tooo complicated

Can you provide an example of simpler rules to achieve the same?

> i claim iptables + tarpit is ideal to defend against tcp-based ddos attacks

Can you elaborate on that? From what I know you could only use tarpitting for unused ports. But most of the time it's the actual ports of services that get attacked. How does tarpitting help against TCP attacks on say port 80 if you run a web service? Also doesn't it only work for botnets? What about spoofed attacks, say SYN with random flags?

> there are roughly 65,535 tcp-ports that should be protected with tarpits

But attacking random ports isn't that common, they are mostly directed to one port a service is listening on. Also 65k ports isn't that many, there are enough botnets that are larger. Therefore I doubt that tarpit even makes much sense for botnet attacks, considering they can be huge and also just wait for the TCP timeout.

> limiting incoming is sorta misleading, since you cannot limit/stop/block/drop incoming packets.

You can put a firewall in front of your servers effectively protecting the servers behind it. So I don't really get this either. Of course you need to mitigate the bad packets at some point in your network and the further upstream the better, that's for sure. Yet they will always reach some device in your network..