Re: iptables TCP DDoS filtering

On 07/05/16 at 06:53am, Josh Day wrote:
> I'm curious if anyone of you has read this article
> https://javapipe.com/iptables-ddos-protection and tried any of the
> rules/settings. I read it today but I'm not sure what to make of it, so
> thought you guys could maybe share your opinion.

i've seen/read most of the various articles/howto/snipplets of using
iptables for ddos mitigation .. the list of various iptables howto
for ddos mitigation at the bottom of http://iptables-blacklist.net/Howto

some of the rules in javapipe.com seems way tooo complicated ...
( i think pre-routing and post-routing is un-necessary )
#
# more importantly, the iptables rules in javapipe is incomplete and
# "droping" packets is NOT ddos mitigation because you already received
# the packets.
#
the sysctl variables should be tuned per your server, cpu/mem, bandwidth,
and amt and type of DDoS attacks

i keep wondering which of the big brand-name ddos mitigation appliances
are using iptables under the hood ( under their "propritory os" )

i claim iptables + tarpit is ideal to defend against tcp-based ddos
attacks ... the attacking zombie-host has to sit and wait the
tcp-timeout ..  there are roughly 65,535 tcp-ports that should
be protected with tarpits :-) .. how one builds the LAMP servers
and how the network infrastrucure is configugred greatly affects
your ability to mitigate tcp-based ddos attacks

---

i think that dropping or limiting icmp-based or udp-based attacks are
pointless since you've already received the ddos packets

udp-based and icmp-based attacks must be mitigated at the uplink ISP
and not at the server under attack

also, limiting incoming is sorta misleading, since you cannot
limit/stop/block/drop incoming packets.  you can only limit which
of the incoming packets you are replying to

there are some icmp-packets you should reply to while ignoring
un-necessary and un-used udp services

there are some udp-packets you should reply to while ignoring
un-necessary and un-used udp services

magic pixie dust
alvin
#
# DDoS-Mitigator.net ... automated tcp-based iptables + tarpits
# DDoS-Simulator.net
#