Re: Ipset kernel module functions

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Gadre Nayan wrote:

> I had few questions regarding the Netlink messages sent from User space.
>
> 1. The command gets transformed into Netlink Message in
> ipset_cmd(session, enum cmd, lineno) ---> lib/session.c
>
> I see the attributes getting created. So which BUS id (Subsystem ID)
> in Netlink is this message send to ?

ipset uses NETLINK_NETFILTER netlink socket bus id and inside nfnetlink it
has its own NFNL_SUBSYS_IPSET subsystem id.

> 2. If I have to trace this command Netlink message in Kernel source,
> where can I start loooking. (I would typically start at the subsystem
> registration) so where can this IPSET subsystem be registered and
> parsed.

The registration happens in ip_set_core.c (nfnetlink_subsys_register())
and the message parser functions are actually callbacks, hooked into
nfnetlink (ip_set_netlink_subsys_cb[]). If you want to follow the whole
processing path, then start at netlink, then nfnetlink and after that
comes ipset.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-
E-mail  : kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kadlecsik.jozsef@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address : Wigner Research Centre for Physics, Hungarian Academy of Sciences
          H-1525 Budapest 114, POB. 49, Hungary