iptables-compat experiment

After some experiment with nftables compat layer 1.6.0 with iptables
commands generated by libvirt I came across some strange (strange at least
for me) behavior.

If I issue
'iptables-compat -A FORWARD -i virbr1 -o virbr1 -j ACCEPT'
'nft list table ip filter' gives:
        chain FORWARD {
                type filter hook forward priority 0; policy accept;
                counter packets 0 bytes 0 accept
        }
netlink: Error: Relational expression size mismatch
netlink: Error: Relational expression size mismatch

If I flush and issue
'nft insert rule filter FORWARD meta iifname virbr1 meta oifname virbr1
accept'
then 'iptables-compat -S' gives:
[0:0] -A FORWARD -i v+ -o virbr1 -p 255 -j ACCEPT

If I flush and issue
'nft insert rule filter FORWARD  meta oifname virbr1 meta iifname virbr1
accept'
then 'iptables-compat -S' gives:
[0:0] -A FORWARD -i virbr1 -o +rbr1 -j ACCEPT

Can anybody explain this? Can I use nft and iptables-compat -S and
iptables-compat -A and nft list in this way?