Re: Why isn't DNAT happening for host-originated packets?

On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 2:13 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's not handled specially /per se/.
> It's a side effect of how conntrack and NAT work. The conntrack confirm
> takes place at the end of POSTROUTING, and no new NAT rule can be
> applied on a confirmed connection.
>
> The same applies to packets belonging to an established connection :
> they all skip the nat chains.

That makes sense (assuming PREROUTING above).  Thanks, this seems
way less arbitrary.

> The special thing in the loopback path is that there is no need for an
> input routing decision after PREROUTING. So, what would happen if you
> could actually DNAT the packet ?

I would like to change its destination, then have the routing decision after
PREROUTING send the packet somewhere else.

Just because it arrived local doesn't mean I want it to stay local!

But that's no big deal.  I'm making the PREROUTING+OUTPUT
chain modifications now, everything looks OK to me.