Mangling and blocking

I'm writing some fairly complex firewall rules, which will be controllable through a GUI. The basic requirement is:

1. The user can select whether or not to allow some traffic.
2. Traffic the user has opted to disallow, will be directed at a transparent proxy, if there is a suitable proxy, otherwise it will be dropped. This is done by setting a MARK on the traffic and applying special routing to it.

I can obviously construct rules to make a decision about allowing/blocking traffic and apply them to the FORWARD chain in the filter table. However, the rules to make a decision about what gets sent to the transparent proxy are almost identical to the filtering rules, but iptables only lets you MARK in the mangle table - this means I need to duplicate all the filter rules into the mangle table, which seems like a very inefficient way of doing things when there are a large number of rules.

Doing any kind of filtering in the mangle table seems to be strongly discouraged, so I'm looking for some advice on the best way to approach this. What are the problems associated with either filtering in the mangle table's PREROUTING chain, or at least just having mangle rules to MARK packets that are to be allowed and then rules in the filter table that allow/drop based on that MARK?

From looking at https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/Netfilter-packet-flow.svg/2000px-Netfilter-packet-flow.svg.png it looks like: - mangle:PREROUTING will carry both INPUT and FORWARD traffic, so care would need to be taken to ensure the rules are acting on the right traffic. - mangle:PREROUTING rules won't be able to use -o, whereas filter:FORWARD could. - mangle:PREROUTING will happen before any NAT, so some traffic would have the "wrong" addresses on it.

Secondly, am I right in thinking that a MARK that affects routing needs to be set in mangle:PREROUTING - i.e. by the time mangle:FORWARD is traversed, its too late?

Thanks.

--
 - Steve Hill
   Technical Director

Direct contacts:
   Instant messager: xmpp:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   Email:            steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   Phone:            sip:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Sales / enquiries contacts:
   Email:            sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   Phone:            +44-1792-824568 / sip:sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Support contacts:
   Email:            support@xxxxxxxxxxxx
   Phone:            +44-1792-825748 / sip:support@xxxxxxxxxxxx
begin:vcard
fn:Steve Hill
n:Hill;Steve
org:Opendium Limited
adr:1 Brue Close;;Highfield House;Bruton;Somerset;BA10 0HY;England
email;internet:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Technical Director
tel;work:+44-1792-824568
x-mozilla-html:FALSE