Re: Trouble with full nf_conntrack table

I have a few more specific questions:

Both systems have both of these settings and sysctl reports that they are so:

net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established = 54000
net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established = 54000

However one server has ip_conntrack table entries that are ESTABLISHED
counting down from 54000, and the other one has ip_conntrack table
entries that are ESTABLISHED counting down from 5 days (I believe this
is the kernel default?)

What could cause the server in question to not observe the value set by sysctl?

What is an appropriate value for a firewall that is constantly
moderately busy?  How low could you set before impacting in a way that
external users would notice?  Is there a way to determine or perhaps
anecdotal guidelines?

Thanks,
Andy