Re: Bridging / VLANs / ebtables

Tim,

Ah crap.  I should've read the OP first.  Definitely some scenario lost
in quote-trimming...

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 02:03:12PM -0600, Tim Nelson wrote:
> Greetings-
>
> I have an interesting situation that requires bridging some VLAN
> enabled interfaces together on a Debian 7.x x86 system. On the host,
> there is a single physical interface passing traffic natively (eth0),
> and two tagged VLANs also passing traffic (eth0.2 and eth0.3).
>
> The use case is that I need to bridge eth0 with eth0.2, allowing layer
> two traffic to pass seamlessly between interfaces, and still leave
> eth0.3 in a usable state. The switch this system is connected to is
> outside of my control, which is the reason for the odd network setup.
>
> What I'm finding by simply creating a new bridge br0 with members eth0
> and eth0.2 is no connectivity on eth0.2, and slow/quirky connectivity
> on eth0 (native connectivity to Debian 7.x host).

This sounds a bit like an IP address / routing rule conflict.  Did you
set eth0 and eth0.2 0.0.0.0 and promiscuous?  Did you assign one IP
address to the bridge?  Would you mind sending the output of:

# ip addr show

and

# route -n

?

> It has been suggested to use ebtables to filter the VLANs from the
> eth0 interface on the bridge, yet allow operation to the system
> interface eth0.2/eth0.3. I found a very specific reference on the
> ebtables site for this scenario [1], usage suggested (modified to fit
> my environment):
>
> ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -i eth0 -p 802_1Q --vlan-id 3 -j DROP
> ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -i eth0 -p 802_1Q --vlan-id 2 -j DROP
>
> If my understanding of the ebtables usage as a brouter, and the
> kernel's interaction between all components involved, this should
> work. However, as noted, no change in operation is observed.

Yes, based on your description of the network you are going to need the
above rules.

thx,

Jason.