Re: Recommended hardware for iptables based firewall/router

On Saturday, November 01, 2014 11:51:28 PM Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> Hi,
> we recently bought an Uqbiquity EdgeRouter Pro but it seems the claims
> about 2 Mio. pps that it should be able to handle are not real-world
> numbers. We are running about 120mbit through this system and are
> already seeing the two risc cores struggling with high softirq load and
> packet drops.
>
> So my question is what a good hardware base would look like for a linux
> based firewall using iptables/conntrack/ipset. Do offload features help
> or can't these be used because iptables needs to process the packets
> anyway? I assume multiqueuing would be nice too.
> The idea is to be able to actually process 1gbit of traffic i.e. handle
> two gbit ports (WAN and LAN) at wire-speed.
>
> Does anyone have any specific recommendations for NICs and maybe tips
> for other bottlenecks to look out for?

I've been using a Lanner 7530 for some time now (the 7525 is the current
'replacement' for it); it runs the recently released Smoothwall 3.1 firewall*.
Basically, a dual-core 1.6GHz Atom CPU with Intel NICs and 64MiB RAM can
saturate four gigE links long term using 17-25W.

If you want more than netfilter (such as squid, snort, clamav, et al.), you'll
want 1-2 GiB RAM and faster CPUs. And maybe more CPUs. If you want VPNs IPSEC
and/or OpenVPN), you'll need at least faster CPUs.

Offload features usually preclude proper operation of netfilter.

GigE PCI NICs usually top out at 250-350Mb/s (limited by the PCI bus).

Intel NICs are generally the best. (I believe their lineage goes back to DEC,
which might explain it.) RealTek's offerings of the last five years or so are
also pretty good.

* Proper disclosure dictates that I state: I'm currently the lead dev. for
Smoothwall Express (GNU/Linux/iptables). I mention it and its capabilities
solely because I am very familiar with v3.1 and with testing/running it on a
number of platforms--from a Y2K 600MHz Gateway PIII to an 8CPU/6GiB/virtio KVM
on a Vishera 8350 with 16GiB RAM.