NFQUEUE target + queue-bypass option, expected behavior

Hi all,

I have two questions about NFQUEUE target and queue-bypass option. To begin with, what is the expected behavior with iptables v1.4.14 ?

(*) extract from the manual page of iptables v1.4.14:
       --queue-bypass
	[...] When this option is used, the NFQUEUE rule is silently
	bypassed instead. The packet will move on to the next rule.

(*) extract from the manual page of iptables-extensions v1.4.20+:
       --queue-bypass
	[...] When this option is used, the NFQUEUE rule behaves like
	ACCEPT instead, and the packet will move on to the next table.

On a standard debian/stable machine (wheezy, iptables v1.4.14), all packets are accepted if no userspace program is listening on an NFQUEUE. Next iptables rules are never matched. A man-page mistake ?

Assuming that this is the expected behavior (ACCEPT), a second question arises. I'd like to merge on a single machine firewall (netfilter/iptables) and IPS (suricata) services. In case of suricata failure, the firewall should run into a degraded state where packets move on to the next rule (i.e. to L3/L4 firewall rules). Is it technically possible with iptables v1.4.14 or higher versions ? In my point of view, omitting queue-bypass option could be too disruptive for a L7 firewall whereas inserting it is far too permissive.

---
Just to refine my setup, the following rule is added at the first position of the table FORWARD:

iptables -I FORWARD -m mark ! --mark 1/1 -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 0 [--queue-bypass]

All next rules are L3/L4 traditional firewall rules.

Regards,
--
Université de Nantes - Direction des Systèmes d'Information
IM jabber: yoann.juet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx