Packet logging with dynamic config?

Dear Sirs,

I need to capture packets from some subset of interfaces (on a given Linux host), then:
- log all the packets in the pcap format, which is the easy part
- match the packets against a dynamically changing configuration and generate alarms on mismatch

My software is notified about current configuration by a userspace application, probably using dbus, if it matters. So, the software should probably be a userspace application itself.

I have read about possible approaches to achieve this, there are quite many: libpcap, PF_RING, netfilter/iptables probably with ulogd2. I just think that modifying iptables rules according to config changes would be quite complex (opposed to checking if a packet complies with the config or not).

As I am not an experienced networking Linux developer, I would like to ask what would be the best approach from
1. Performance
2. Easy of implementation (the less/easier code, the better),

in that order, point of view?

Thank you,

Marek