Re: dropping UNTRACKED packets, breaks IPv6 - why?

On 26 July 2013 03:59, Christoph Anton Mitterer
<christoph.anton.mitterer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I usually have some default rules in place on all nodes which look about
> like this:
> ---------------------
> -A INPUT        --in-interface lo       -j ACCEPT
> -A OUTPUT       --out-interface lo      -j ACCEPT
>
> -A INPUT       -m state  --state UNTRACKED     -j DROP
> -A FORWARD      -m state  --state UNTRACKED     -j DROP
> -A OUTPUT      -m state  --state UNTRACKED     -j DROP
>
> -A INPUT        -m state  --state INVALID       -j DROP
> -A FORWARD      -m state  --state INVALID       -j DROP
> -A OUTPUT       -m state  --state INVALID       -j DROP
>
> #handle IPsec only sources/destinations
> #snip/snap
>
> #allow incoming packets for all established and all related connections
> -A INPUT        -m state  --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED   -j ACCEPT
>
> #allow incoming ICMP packets
> -A INPUT        --protocol icmpv6       -j ACCEPT

Could you provide a ip6tables-save format ruleset?

> ---------------------
> And the same for IPv4.
>
> The idea with dropping the UNTRACKED/INVALID was that such packages are
> probably not good fellows and should stay out...
>
> Okay... now with IPv4 everything works as expected...
>

> But with v6 nothing works at all and I get Destination unreachables
> (even on pings)... I can't even reach the gateway.
>
> When I disable dropping the untracked packets... it starts working,...
> even when afterwards I enable it again.
> Seems that there is some connection between the host an the gateway
> shown then by conntrack.
>

> Now... question is why?

What is the default policy? I guess you are not allowing ICMP messages
in OUTPUT. ICMP messages are important in IPv6.

Regards.

--
Arturo Borrero González