dropping UNTRACKED packets, breaks IPv6 - why?

Hi.

I usually have some default rules in place on all nodes which look about
like this:
---------------------
-A INPUT        --in-interface lo       -j ACCEPT
-A OUTPUT       --out-interface lo      -j ACCEPT

-A INPUT       -m state  --state UNTRACKED     -j DROP
-A FORWARD      -m state  --state UNTRACKED     -j DROP
-A OUTPUT      -m state  --state UNTRACKED     -j DROP

-A INPUT        -m state  --state INVALID       -j DROP
-A FORWARD      -m state  --state INVALID       -j DROP
-A OUTPUT       -m state  --state INVALID       -j DROP

#handle IPsec only sources/destinations
#snip/snap

#allow incoming packets for all established and all related connections
-A INPUT        -m state  --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED   -j ACCEPT

#allow incoming ICMP packets
-A INPUT        --protocol icmpv6       -j ACCEPT
---------------------
And the same for IPv4.

The idea with dropping the UNTRACKED/INVALID was that such packages are
probably not good fellows and should stay out...

Okay... now with IPv4 everything works as expected...

But with v6 nothing works at all and I get Destination unreachables
(even on pings)... I can't even reach the gateway.

When I disable dropping the untracked packets... it starts working,...
even when afterwards I enable it again.
Seems that there is some connection between the host an the gateway
shown then by conntrack.

Now... question is why?

Cheers,
Chris.