Re: Dabase BAcked IPTables

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 08:05:44PM -0400, Nick Khamis wrote:
> On 6/28/13, /dev/rob0 <rob0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 11:01:10AM -0400, Nick Khamis wrote:
> >> What we are trying to accomplish is having our clients supply
> >> us with a mac address (or ip), and we would let them through
> >> our core network. This would be done automatically on our
> >> website i.e.:
> >>
> >> * User logs into the website, and provides mac address
> >> * We insert the record in the database as an allow rule...
> >
> > Sounds like a job for ipset(8).
> >
> >> * Restart iptables?
> >
> > Restart? What does that mean? iptables is not a daemon.
>
> How did I overlook ipset? By restart I mean ./iptables &&
> iptables-save

I'm still not sure what that means; is ./iptables a script? (Not
using the one in $PATH for a reason?) And iptables-save(8) merely
writes the rules to stdout.

When you update your ipset, any rule referring to that set uses the
new set right away. There would be no point in dumping and then
reloading your ruleset.

P.S. to Ricardo: No, sorry, I don't know about it. But for this
purpose a MAC address would not be needed. "User logs into the
website," this cannot be done without an IP address.