RE: 'Invalid packet' problem since upgrading

Hello Allen ,

There is not enough info in this case to solve it with any good certainty ,
However IF I should make an educated guess it would be some sort of problem with the Wii-U .

My reasoning is simple , since I lack all the facts :

1. All other traffic seems to go fine .
2. The new versin of Ubuntu probably has a new version of IPTABLES ( but this is unknown to me since you did not include this info )
3. The stateful inspection might have been change in a way that either blocks traffic that it should but didn't before ( a fix in the new version ),
   or it now blocks traffic it should not block but handled correctly before ( a bug added to the new version ).

With this lack of information , I will ASSUME there is a fix in the new version ( this typicaly the way with new versions ).
and since no other traffic is affected there is a possibility the Wii-U is doing something wrong that earlier versions did not take into
considerartion during stateful inspection .
( this also explains why a setup without firewall works , since a "firewallless" environment has no stateful inspection ).

I would recommend doing a TCPDUMP into a file , and having all traffic to/from Wii-U analyzed .
This would actually make it possible to spot any state mismatch in packets created by Wii-U and verify my teory
( or prove my assumptions wrong :)

My personaly would do a dump to pcap file , and analyze in wireshark .
It colormarks packets who it thinks are "OFF" in some manner , and has a more readable trace in a big tcpdump .

tcpdump -n -s 0 -i eth0 host 192.168.58.38 -w Wii-U.pcap

Should do the trick , I would personally dump during a bootup , a "internet connection test" and finaly try connect to nintendo services .

Hope this helps in you in any way ...

Best regards
André Paulsberg
Senior Network Engineer