synflood +syncookies + conntrack strange behaviour

Hello Netfilter,

Today I wanted to do some LAN tests with two machines, where i would use one to syn flood the other.

Iam using a firewall with conntrack enabled. I noticed that while I made the attack (50k pps @ 15mbitsfrom random IPs) I immediately saw the conntrack max count reach 65535 which is my max value. Packets immediately started being lost almost in full.

Questions:

a.) Shouldnt syn cookies (which is enabled) deal with the syn flood without compromising my state table? b.) Why if my state table is full am I not getting any table full error message in dmesg or syslog? I tried setting max conntrack to something lower (10,000)and even maxed out it didnt give any warning. In fact i had to set it to 100 and only at that time I got the conntrack error full message?? c.) I tried disabling iptables all together (thus no conntrack)and I still saw 100% packetloss , iam sure iamnot hitting a cpu or link limit because previously i hit a 100k pps 50mbits, and now iam doing half that for testing and still using syncookies. Why would i still be lossing packets?

Thanks for the help!

Alex