Re: Block all input but two non-contiguous networks

On Wed, February 27, 2013 1:09 pm, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 jboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>> The list below is from my /etc/sysconfig/iptable file.  I rules I would
>>  propose to add are preceeded with ***.
>>
>> *filter
>> :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
>> :INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
>> :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
>> -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -i tun0 -j ACCEPT
>> ***-A INPUT -s 192.168.112.0/24 -j ACCEPT
>> ***-A INPUT -s 10.9.8.0/24 -j ACCEPT
>>

> You could add those lines, but keep in mind, by doing so, you're allowing
>  all IP traffic from those networks.  Not just Samba-related traffic.
> That
> may be fine...it's up to you.

Yes, I would be fine with that.

>> -A INPUT -p udp -m state -m udp --dport 1194 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -p udp -m state -m udp --dport 137 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -p udp -m state -m udp --dport 138 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -p tcp -m state -m tcp --dport 139 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -m state --dport 445 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -p tcp -m state -m tcp --dport 22 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -p tcp -m state -m tcp --dport 10000 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>> -A INPUT -p udp -m state -m udp --dport 1195 --state NEW -j ACCEPT
>> -A FORWARD -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
>> -A INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
>>

> The rest of this is troubling.  Your above rules open Samba, SSH, and
> whatever is using 1194, 1195, and 10000 to the world.  What's the point of
>  explicitly allowing traffic from the two private networks if you have
> these ports wide open anyway?  If this machine is on a non-filtered
> internet connection, you're probably also seeing SSH brute force login
> attempts.

Interesting, that makes sense, and that is why I was originally thinking
of using a negated rule in my iptables.  I was also thinking that the
INPUT REJECT at the end was address most everything else.  I just used the
standard firewall configuration tool in RHEL6 when I set it up, and since
then using Webmin.  The 1194 and 1195 are the ports for my OpenVPN, and
10000 is the port for Webmin.  I do have to keep SSH, OpenVPN, and Webmin
open because I have to have access to the system from wherever I am, when
I am not in the office.  This could be from my home, or from anywhere I
might be doing fieldwork (my duties are also as a forester), essentially a
non-fixed public ip address.

I do see occassion hits from SSH login attempts.  I have /etc/hostsallow
to accept SSH and Samba from my lan and vpn networks, and /etc/hostdeny to
reject all.  So the hits to SSH and Samba are getting rejected at host
allow/deny, which is what I am seeing in my daily logwatch email.  If you
have an idea for some simple changes that I should make, I am all ears.  I
have always avoided doing a firewall script like I see discussed
everywhere, so if you have something that I can add or change via Webmin I
am game to try it.  Thanks.

Jeff Boyce
Meridian Environmental