Re: SNAT using the same internal address multiple times

On 8/02/2013 9:39 a.m., Alex Bligh wrote:
On 7 Feb 2013, at 16:56, Jimmy Thrasibule wrote:

OK, the problem here is to keep your interface MAC address when sending
a packet. You have the `bonding` driver to group interface but I don't
think it permits such a thing as it is more for load-balancing.
Towards the VM? It doesn't care about the originating MAC. The destination
MAC should be in the neighbor table in the normal way.

(*) = why on earth would I want to do this? Suppose you have a huge
number of VMs which can live migrate between physical machines. Without
this, IP addressing needs to be globally unique across all VMs
across all physical machines. This is somewhat tedious.
But in any case, how would you set up your virtual machines as they need
an IP address?
I could configure them statically. Actually what I'd do is use an extremely
lightweight tiny DHCP server I have written that would simply answer with
the same IP address for any query. Given they all have the same IP address,
this seems satisfactory.

What I'd do is access them all individually using their automatic fe80:: internal MAC-based IPv6 address. This address often works regardless of what global access IPv4 or IPv6 address screwups have been done, allowing easy administrative fixes of said problems.

AYJ