Re: SNAT using the same internal address multiple times

On 7 Feb 2013, at 16:56, Jimmy Thrasibule wrote:

> OK, the problem here is to keep your interface MAC address when sending
> a packet. You have the `bonding` driver to group interface but I don't
> think it permits such a thing as it is more for load-balancing.

Towards the VM? It doesn't care about the originating MAC. The destination
MAC should be in the neighbor table in the normal way.

>> (*) = why on earth would I want to do this? Suppose you have a huge
>> number of VMs which can live migrate between physical machines. Without
>> this, IP addressing needs to be globally unique across all VMs
>> across all physical machines. This is somewhat tedious.
>
> But in any case, how would you set up your virtual machines as they need
> an IP address?

I could configure them statically. Actually what I'd do is use an extremely
lightweight tiny DHCP server I have written that would simply answer with
the same IP address for any query. Given they all have the same IP address,
this seems satisfactory.

--
Alex Bligh