connlimit reached - cannot open connections even after I close some

Hi list,

I want to solve a seemingly simple problem: Limit the number of TCP connections coming from a single IP address to a web server on port 8080. (background: we had some misbehaving clients eating up a lot of server resources by opening 400 parallel connections from a single IP - that number is unreasonnable even for proxy servers, so I want to enforce a limit)

This sounds like a case for connlimit, so this is what I did (max 4 connections for easier testing):

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn --dport 8080 -m connlimit --connlimit-above 4 -j REJECT

Fetching files with wget --limit-rate=1 shows that this works... sort of.

The fifth connection fails as expected, but after I kill some of the other connections (verified with netstat -anp | grep ESTABLISHED), I *still* cannot open new connections!

To be able to connect again, I have to cease *any* connect attempts for about two minutes. If I repeatedly try to connect, I'm not able to connect ever again (!), even when there are no more established connections.

As far as I can tell, the problem is the way connlimit works: It looks at the conntrack table and considers all entries there, even the SYN_WAIT ones (the ones that have been rejected by connlimit end up in that state). Or to put it differently: If connlimit denies a connection, that connection will *still* create a conntrack entry and thus will also count against the connection limit. This can be verified using the "conntrack -L" command.

This behaviour makes this simple setup completely unusable for us, because if some IP accidentally hits the limit I want that IP to be able to connect again as soon as it is back below the limit. Think well behaving NATs or proxy servers: They might have a very short burst which goes over the limit, so I want to block them for a few seconds, but after that things should immediately go back to normal.

After some research I came up with the following:

In addition to the connlimit rule above, I added

iptables -A PREROUTING -t raw -p tcp --dport 8080 -m connlimit --connlimit-above 4 -j NOTRACK iptables -A OUTPUT -t raw -p tcp --sport 8080 -m connlimit --connlimit-above 4 -j NOTRACK

This prevents conntrack table entries from being created for connections that are over the limit.

But:

* Does this really do what I think it does (i.e. do you think this is safe for production)? * It looks like there is a race condition: Some other connection could get closed between the NOTRACK and the REJECT rule. Result: A new connection would not get a conntrack entry because it is over the limit at first, but later would not be rejected because it is now under the limit. Could that be an issue?
* Is this a bug in connlimit?
* Am I missing something else (e.g. an undocumented parameter for connlimit)?

Thanks!

David

--
David Gubler