Re: libnetfilter_queue issues

Hi Eric,
Thanks a lot for reply.

I read your article but apart from clarifying my doubts it created the
new ones :)

Below are the issues....

1.- - - - -
You wrote: "packet can be verdict without order".
I am very sorry but my English is not perfect so I understand above as
"having packets in the order 1,2,3,4 the verdict can be set in any order
(f.ex. in the order 4,1,3,2)"
Am I right?

If my above understanding is correct it also contains implied
information that I can call successfully several times recv() function
and none of the calls block despite the fact that the verdicts have not
been set for the recv'ed packets.

Am I right till now?

2. - - - - - -
Next you wrote
a) "The packet queue is a real queue"
and next
b) "A packet is released when userspace issue a verdict"

Well, I have some doubts here.

According to my primitive understanding (but which is the same as at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queue_%28abstract_data_type%29)  the queue
is First-In-First-Out (FIFO) data structure.
So statement (b) is not true or not complete.

Because having several packets in queue (let's say 1,2,3,4) and setting
verdict for packet 2 doesn't mean that it will be released (=sent) since
it is  _in the middle_ of the queue.

Please explain above.

Anyway at the bottom you also mentioned about 'packet reordering' which
suggests that queue you are writing about in the article is not a queue
or my understanding of therm 'queue' is too primitive.

3. - - - - - -
And "new doubt" appeared after reading your article.
You wrote: "The send/recv operation need to be protected by lock to
avoid concurrent writing"

Well, I wrote a number of  multi-processed programs (run also on
multi-core CPUs) which used the same file descriptor by each
child-process and I never found the situation that any locking has been
required.
Each read or written messages (=sequence of bytes)  were consistent.
Of course without locking I do not have control on the order of the
messages read/written from/to file descriptor but none of the
read/written data were corrupted (i.e. messages were not mixed)

So is the lock really required? Why?
Is it a matter of the fact that 'fd' is the netlink socket?

4. - - - - - -
Another "new doubt" requires longer explanation.

Using the file 'source-nfq.c' as reference we can found there

   while ((rv = recv(fd, buf, sizeof(buf), 0)) && rv >= 0) {
      nfq_handle_packet(h, buf, rv);
   }

At the article you wrote: "the kernel sends a message containing packet
data and related information to a socket and userpace reads this message"
Does it means that 'buf' contains packet data?

I am asking about since 'fd' is the only socket I can find in the
source-nfq.c.
On the other hand the packet data are accessible via struct nfq_data
*nfa in callback function and 'nfa' has nothing in common (at least
documentation does not state it) with the 'buf'.

And if the 'buf' really contains packet data what for the callback
function is required?
Wasn't be simpler to access packet directly from 'buf'?

Till now I assumed that 'buf' contained only some kind of
"libnetfilter_queue internal metadata" which was not interesting for me.

Any comment will be appreciated.

And that's all.
I would be be grateful to you for helping me to understand how to use
the libnetfilter_queue and what can be done using it.

With best regards,
Dorian