Re: PCI Compliance, gee fun.

You could do some sort of template to generate iptables-restore format
and refresh it every so often (once an hour, or day).

Yes, dyamic DNS is fairly common on application layer firewalls.  That
said, they don't run in the kernel and their resolvers are fairly good
at caching that info...  Running things through proxy servers or other
things can allow you to make your rules use dns names there.

PS: I would assume that the "DNS" requirement is only for external
services that publish by DNS name only and not for internal services
or gateway services that publish the IP to use outside of DNS.