Re: PCI Compliance, gee fun.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 11:18:55AM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> I'm being told by my PCI QSA that IPTables supports DNS Names in kernel.

You obviously know this is wrong.

> He is forcing me to use "DNS Names" in my "iptables-restore" formatted
> save file. I am using a Fedora (FC2) based Firewall (with some updated
> packages to fix things)... its quite Old... (which they also don't like)
> using IPTables v1.2.9.
>
> The problem is, IPTables only deals with "IP Addresses" in its structure
> and doesn't have "dynamic" IP resolution and only resolves on
> "runtime/load". Now if I use "iptables-save" the file format does NOT in
> fact use DNS and only dumps the IP Address.
>
> What I need is the actual documentation that seems TERRIBLY hard to find
> on this very subject...

The iptables(8) manual:
"
[!] -s, --source address[/mask][,...]
    Source specification. Address can be either a network name, a
    hostname, a network IP address (with /mask), or a plain IP
    address. Hostnames will be resolved once only, before the rule
    is submitted to the kernel. Please note that specifying any name
    to be resolved with a remote query such as DNS is a really bad
    idea. ...
"

The iptables-restore(8) manual is very short and does not cover these
specifics, but it does refer to iptables in "SEE ALSO". And perhaps a
patch would be accepted. :)

> He is also claiming that other firewalls solutions (aka Proprietary, aka
> Cisco) "dynamically" resolve rules... which I believe is incorrect, as
> well.

I don't know Cisco et al, but I don't see how this would be practical
without some kind of backend to monitor DNS for changes and update a
list of IP addresses.

(You could do the same thing with iptables and ipset(8), FWIW, albeit
not so easily on your Fedorasaurus, of course.)

> Please point me at some place I can find "authoritative" documentation
> for this situation for me to either "suck it up" or to give him direct
> docs for him to include in our Audit.
>
> Thanks. Hopefully I have stated the issue well enough.

Good luck.