Re: 2 nics and traffic delayed/lost on LAN

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> seems like you are hosting:
> samba
> db
> ssh
> ftp
> ssl
> and other stuff.

True.

> the first thing I would suggest you is to help yourself understand your
> topology.
> ip addresses, hardware, packets flow.
> until you will not clarify these things you are expected to fail debugging
> the problem.
> as I mentioned before try Ubuntu servers forums as a starter since there are
> many nice people there that will try to give you lots of directions.

Ok, i'll find that. And will Cc you there. I'm replying here, cause i
forgot to mention where the ping went.

> you can try to change your iptables to a more simple approach one like
> "allow all" as a starter and later add rule by rule until you will find a
> specific culprit.
> also try to close and service that is running on this machine and one by one
> start them.

I thought of that approach the last few days. Or maybe fire up the old
server to rule out a HW issue.

>> 10 pings gave 10, 30 and 40% packetloss.
>>
> ping to where?
> try pinging the "firewall" and to other places by the topology.
> lan to lan
> lan to firewall
> lan to other throw firewall

Sorry, i pinged the companys VPN address.

> tcpdump is a really good start to see if the packets are identified by the
> kernel\interface\driver etc.
> if you have another PC you can try to dump the packets into PCAP file and
> later review the packets in wireshark which is more friendly for the eye.
> also there are many things you can see by just looking at the packet flow in
> wireshark.

okay, got some stuff to work on now. Thanks.

--
Take care
Kim Emax