Re: Strange problems on iptables (FC17) .... need your help

On Thursday 2012-10-04 07:09, Ajit K Jena wrote:
>On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 01:02 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>> On Wednesday 2012-10-03 20:28, Ajit K Jena wrote:
>>
>> >  c) The "inward" log entry is **NOT** produced in the logfile.
>> >  d) It appears as if the packet is simply dropped.
>> >  How do I go about debugging this further ?
>>
>> Log all other packets that are not logged by the outward or inward one.
>> Their contents may be sufficiently different that your rules don't fire.
>
>[...] I am beginning to suspect that there is some difference in
>iproute software between FC10 and FC11 (or FC17). The iptables/ipset
>part per se have no problem.

There is sort of a "checklist" one can go through to see what
happens.

1. Make sure the packet does arrive at all at the machine - tcpdump.

2. Determine if the packet passes the routing lookup.
   http://backreference.org/2010/06/11/iptables-debugging/

The log entries will reveal where it is dropped. - Namely, the
absence of entries will. If there is no filter:FORWARD:rule:XXX line
but a xxx:PREROUTING:rule:XXX line, it is an indication that it went
missing between those two points, which can be an indicator that
the route lookup yielded no usable route.