Application Level Gateway for HTTP?

Hi,

Has anyone here used netfilter to make an Application Level Gateway for HTTP?

What I'm looking for is an "HTTP router" or "HTTP reverse proxy" that
can route requests for resources received via HTTP to the appropriate
(internal) web server.

We develop and host applications for our clients and such an HTTP
router would simply admin for us significantly.

While I can install an HTTP reverse proxy server, I don't need any of
the other features that such a server would provide, purely the
routing part, so I thought that netfilter should be able to do the
job.

In particular, could string matching be used to achieve this?

Thanks,

Colin