Re: Using Netfilter with high bandwidth

On Saturday 2012-09-01 00:39, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>On Friday 2012-08-31 21:38, Julien Vehent wrote:
>
>>At work, we're building a new office, and we are considering
>>building our own edge firewalls instead of giving bucket loads of
>>money to the big guys. We're a Linux shop, so it makes sense to
>>build those new firewall/vpn boxes using Linux. But we are
>>concerned about performances and complexity. I make a simple
>>diagram of what we want below. We would have a point to point WAN
>>connection between the two networks, and then an uplink on each
>>side.
>>
>>[...]
>>* What type of network cards will handle 1GBPS and 10GBPS
>>(eventually) ? Any recommendation on the hardware ?
>
>Those with multiqueue. Intel is known to have some offerings, check
>there (I don't have the chip numbers at hand).

The chip/card I was thinking of (lspci output):

02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]:
Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5716 Gigabit Ethernet [14e4:163b] (rev 20)
        Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:02a5]
                Product Name: Broadcom NetXtreme II Ethernet Controller
                Read-only fields:
                        [PN] Part number: BCM95716C1
                        [V0] Vendor specific: 5.0.13

This card has 8 queues according to /proc/interrupts.