Using Netfilter with high bandwidth

Hi All,

At work, we're building a new office, and we are considering building our own edge firewalls instead of giving bucket loads of money to the big guys. We're a Linux shop, so it makes sense to build those new firewall/vpn boxes using Linux. But we are concerned about performances and complexity. I make a simple diagram of what we want below. We would have a point to point WAN connection between the two networks, and then an uplink on each side.

So I figured I would ask the Netfilter heavy users:
* How much traffic can we expect to route to a decently configured Firewall ? Can we target 10GBPS with good NICs/CPUs and proper kernel tuning, or is that completely out of range ? * If I recall correctly, some ISPs are using Linux/Netfilter boxes on their network. Do we know the limits of such systems ? * Can we consider conntrack and conntrack synchronization between master and slave ? * What type of network cards will handle 1GBPS and 10GBPS (eventually) ? Any recommendation on the hardware ? * We are considering starting with a base ubuntu setup and then tuning the kernel/system to fit our needs. Some distros are more network oriented than others, is there anything that would stand out for our setup ?

Any pointer to tuning/recommendations is more than welcome. If you have experience with such a setup but don't want to share publicly, feel free to contact me directly.

                         ........... ...... ..........
                      ...      I N T E R N E T       ...
            +--------+..                               .+---------+
       500 MBPS          .............................            |500 MBPS
       UPLINK                                                     |UPLINK
            |                                                     |
       +----+-----------+             1 GBPS WAN        +---------+------+
       |                +------------------------------->                |
| LAN FIREWALL |---+ | DATACENTER FW |---+ +---^+-----------+ | +---^+-----------+ | || +-------------+ || +-------------+
           ||                                               ||
           ||                                               ||
           ||1 GBPS LAN                                     ||1 GBPS LAN
      ..   L A N   ..                                     .. Datacenter.

Thanks a lot everyone :)

Julien

--
Julien Vehent - http://jve.linuxwal.info