Re: Using Netfilter with high bandwidth

On Sat, 2012-09-01 at 00:39 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Friday 2012-08-31 21:38, Julien Vehent wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > At work, we're building a new office, and we are considering building our own
> > edge firewalls instead of giving bucket loads of money to the big guys. We're a
> > Linux shop, so it makes sense to build those new firewall/vpn boxes using
> > Linux. But we are concerned about performances and complexity. I make a simple
> > diagram of what we want below. We would have a point to point WAN connection
> > between the two networks, and then an uplink on each side.
> >
> > So I figured I would ask the Netfilter heavy users:
> > * How much traffic can we expect to route to a decently configured Firewall ?
> > Can we target 10GBPS with good NICs/CPUs and proper kernel tuning, or is that
> > completely out of range ?

I did a lot of 10Gbit/s routing testing back in 2009:
http://vger.kernel.org/netconf2009_slides/LinuxCon2009_JesperDangaardBrouer_final.pdf

Which showed that Intels Nehalem microarchitecture, was capable of doing
10Gbit bi-directional routing on Linux.  Combined with multiqueue NICs,
where the Intel 10G NIC were the winning NIC.  (Disclaimer, this testing
were without iptables rules)

Notice this was 2009, based on the first Nehalem arch.  I know that
Sandy bridge will improve performance (due to better handling of
outstanding PCI-transactions) but I have not tested the details.

I'm also eager to test the new Intel CPUs E5-26xx, which have something
called  DDIO (Direct Data I/O).  Where they basically allow the NIC to
map data directly into L3-cache:
 http://www.intel.in/content/www/in/en/io/direct-data-i-o.html

> > * If I recall correctly, some ISPs are using Linux/Netfilter boxes on their
> > network.

I can confirm that I used to work for an ISP, that still have
Linux/Netfilter boxes, that route and police all their customers
Internet traffic.  Just before I left, we replaced all machines with
Nehalem based machines to prepare for 10G upgrade, but I only a single
machine was deployed with 10Gbit/s NICs while I was still there.

> Do we know the limits of such systems ?

I did some lab tests on 10Gbit/s routing on the new hardware, with
approx 150.000 iptables rules and a corresponding HTB (bandwidth
shaping) tree.  We ran into some limits around 4.5Gbit/s, but that was
due to the HTB tree, because it causes serialization the traffic control
layer when transmitting/queueing packets.

Notice that you really have to careful how you structure your ruleset,
if you want this many rules:
http://www.slideshare.net/brouer/netfilter-making-large-iptables-rulesets-scale

> > * Can we consider conntrack and conntrack synchronization between master and
> > slave ?

Never played with contrackd.  Perhaps someone could share their
experience in this area?

> > * What type of network cards will handle 1GBPS and 10GBPS (eventually) ? Any
> > recommendation on the hardware ?
>
> Those with multiqueue. Intel is known to have some offerings, check
> there (I don't have the chip numbers at hand).

The Intel chip number for the 1Gbit/s NIC is 82576 and for the 10Gbit/s
NIC is 82599.

> > * We are considering starting with a base ubuntu setup and then tuning the
> > kernel/system to fit our needs. Some distros are more network oriented than
> > others, is there anything that would stand out for our setup ?

If you plan to manage the server yourself, I really recommend you just
choose your favorite Linux distro on a standard server.  I have spend
too much time on getting stuff to work on minimal semi-homebrewed
distributions running on flash or disk-drives.

And please remember to increase the number of conntrack entries.

E.g.:
 /proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_max = 900000

And to the calc: Conntrack element size 228 bytes found
in /proc/slabinfo: "nf_conntrack <objsize> = 228 "

 228 * 900000 / 10^6 = 205.2 MB

You should also change the nf_conntrack hash bucket size, as just
increasing the number of conntrack entries, will cause more collisions.

This is done either when loading the module:
  modprobe nf_conntrack hashsize=300000
Or runtime via /sys:
  echo 300000 > /sys/module/nf_conntrack/parameters/hashsize

Do you plan to write the iptables rules manually in a script, or do you
plan to use a GUI for config?
(I'm just asking because I don't know if there is some good free GUIs
out-there... I once approx 2001 used fwbuilder.org, for a system that
someone else had to admin, they seemed happy...)

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer