Re: Filtering incoming 3G smartphone traffic using iptables?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 03:09:30PM -0500, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 02:34:43PM -0500, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
> >> But how can I restrict port 22 access to this smart phone when
> >> using 3g service for its Internet?  Do I have any options?
> >
> > You can Google around and find port knocking solutions. That
> > would be on topic here. But the real question, "how do I secure
> > my ssh against attackers?" is less so.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I should have worded my question more
> precisely.  I'm not really looking for tips to lock down my ssh
> server.  I recognize that is off-topic.  What I'm really trying to
> figure out is if there is an IP tables module that makes use of
> something like the MEID.

I'm quite sure that the MEID does not transmit over IP. Neither do
MAC addresses, outside their own physical segment. Every packet
arriving from the Internet has the MAC address of your default
gateway. MEID is not applicable in IP networking.

I did give you an on-topic reply concerning iptables -m recent, which
was omitted from your quoting. I suggest that you go back and review
that. You don't need to restrict your sshd that much. In fact I find
it quite entertaining to review my statistics of deflected SSH
attackers. :) 37 of them this week, at home.